- 1 package yeast
- 2 tsp / 10 gm salt or substitute
- 4½ cups / 540 gm SWG flour
- ¼ cup / 60 gm coconut sugar syrup (⅓ cup coconut sugar dissolved in ¼ cup water, boiled for 3 minutes while stirring, then cooled)
- 2¼ cups / 540 ml organic grass-fed or vegan milk or warm water
Directions – Machine Method
- Add all ingredients to bread machine in order listed.
- Set machine on wheat/light/1.5-lb loaf.
Directions – Hand Method
- Warm 1¾ cups of the milk with the coconut sugar until the mixture reaches body temperature.
- Add yeast to the milk and sugar mixture. Set it aside for five minutes, or until it becomes foamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together salt and flour.
- Add the milk, sugar, and yeast mixture to the flour and salt, and mix until it forms one solid ball.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes and then knead the bread for 10 more minutes.
- Set the dough on a clean towel and allow it to rise until it doubles in volume (about 1½-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Punch the dough down, form it into a loaf and put it into the prepared loaf pan.
- Allow the dough to rise again until double in volume.
- Baste the top of the loaf with the remaining milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the bread achieves a golden brown color.
- Cool on a rack and serve.